Saturday, August 4, 2007

Life, apraxia, and everything

The boys are nearly three. They still aren't talking. They've got August off for a vacation, then back to school and speech therapy in September. Childhood Apraxia of Speech is a bitch, man. Christian just started saying "Mama". Yes, nearly three years to hear my children call me mama. I know a lot of moms who just don't appreciate it, who complain about the constant "mommy", but really, they just have no idea what it is to plead and coax and spend hours in therapy and pray that their child will just say something, anything, just one word. They are extremely smart little devils. They know the alphabet and numbers to ten (can identify them, not make the sound obviously), they recognize their name and their brother's name, they can do about 10 signs in ASL, and they're learning to swim. Right now they're totally in love with the movie "Cars". Before that it was "Finding Nemo".

School's out for me too, well until the end of the month. Must check on when fall classes start up. This is my final semester of grad school. I take the comprehensive exams in November, and graduate in December (assuming I pass comps, of course). My GPA is a 3.96, disappointing. I have one B+ out of all my A's and it just shot my GPA. What really kills me is that it was the professor's mistake on a quiz which she refused to give full credit to those that answered correctly that brought me below an A. So I'm a little bitter. I will still graduate magna cum laude, although I have no idea if they do that for master's degrees. My next decision is whether to get a second master's degree in something different, or to continue to a PhD in the same, or scrap it and go back to work. Tough one. I have about 6 months to decide though, since apps would be due around early March for acceptance into a fall program.

My mom comes to visit in about 2 weeks with my nephew, to stay for 2 weeks. My sister is picking her up since she flies in to BWI, and then driving down to stay a few days, then I'll drive up at the end of Mom's trip since her return flight is also out of BWI. It'll give us a nice visit to Baltimore, probably hit the aquarium there so my nephew can see the sharks.

The husband is recovering well from his surgery, he returns to work on August 13th. He's putting up a new shed since we are once again overcrowded in our house but can't yet afford to move. He also is supposed to finish the bathroom remodel this week. I want him to repair the screens on the front porch too.

That's it for now, will post pics soon.

No comments: